Chapter 2 - ANOTHER LUCKY ESCAPE

I must have been at Dr Brent's office for about two hours. I still felt a bit dizzy and would have liked to stay longer to recover, but he said I looked much better and took me home. On the way he didn't say a word. He looked upset and confused. I understood so I just looked out of the window and didn't insist on having a conversation.

'Thanks for your help,' I said while I was getting out of the car. He didn't even reply and drove off.

I was just opening the door when I got a call from Cindy, who was very worried about me. I told her that I was fine but kept the secret about Dr Brent's affair.

'My parents haven't had the chance to get to know you. Why don't we meet tomorrow for lunch?' she said. I accepted her invitation.

I went to bed feeling exhausted after such a busy night. At 11 o'clock the next morning  it was hard for me to
get out of bed. It was getting late so I had to spend my little money left on a taxi to be punctual. Cindy's parents welcomed me with a beautiful table where exotic food was served with expensive white wine. We were having a good time at last until the butler interrupted to say that Miss Charlotte Brent had come to pick up her cell phone, which she had left at the party.

She didn't wait at the door and came straight into the dining-room. There she was standing in front of me before I could react. I started to sweat and my legs were trembling under the table. I looked at Cindy hoping to get some help from her. She was rubbing her nose as she usually does when she is nervous. She was speechless. Charlotte said hello to everybody but not to me. She was expecting them to introduce me to her. There was silence. And then I heard the words I feared so much.

'What's the matter with you, darling? Aren't you going to greet your brother?' asked Cindy's mother.



No comments :

Post a Comment